Tucked deep into Thambu Chetty Street, George Town, is the Kalikambal Kamateswarar temple. It looks like any other temple in Tamil nadu in the midst of a crowded commercial street. The temple was established around 1640 C.E. Originally it was believed to be nearer the seashore but must have been shifted to this site later.
One notable reason for the fame of this temple is the belief that Chattrapati Shivaji worshipped incognito at this temple during his visit to this city.
The original deity was a fiercer form of Ambal (Paravati) which was later replaced by a Shanta swaroopa form of Sri Kamakshi.
Bishwanath Ghosh covers this in more detail in his Tamarind City (pages 37-39)